Monday, June 9, 2008

Party Postponed!

In part due to an overwhelming lack of response (only Lucia, thanks, who had to decline), I will not proceed with plans for a gathering at my place this Saturday. Also, I think I will have Father's weekend anyway. However, I will not give up and not should any of you!

Perhaps we could shoot for a later date--in August perhaps. Just when people are beginning to miss each other. Sorry, if some of you were saving up to RSVP.

Enjoy!

Tim

2 comments:

Lucia Olson said...

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear the party is postponed. I think it is a great idea and maybe if I hadn't initially responded maybe you would have had more posts?

Anyway, I had an idea this morning about forming an SMCCD (CSM/Canada/Skyline?) book club or "salon" of sorts, where people meet bi-monthly or monthly to talk about books they are reading. These can be books for pleasure, or books to be used in further courses or Learning Communities. I always hear of such great books people are using with their classes, but it always seems to be too late, once I have ordered mine & I don't want to irk Judy at the bookstore!

If there is any interest, please let me know (or if one already exists, that would be cool, too). I belong to a book club, but it is mostly for psychotherapists and so we talk about the books in a different way. For a final shameless plug, I just read about Rob Walker's "Buying In" in the NYT Book Review. I got it and I could see students liking it--it talks about Generation Y and how they create their own meaning, or "tribes" around brands and logos.

If such a book discussion group/salon is founded, we could meet at SF or Peninsula cafes--sometimes libraries let you use their meeting rooms as well. Sometimes it is nice to host meeting in people's homes, but since that is a lot a work for the host and sometimes space can be an issue (in my house, anyway!)

Cheers and thanks for invite, Tim,

Lucia

Lucia Olson said...

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear the party is postponed. I think it is a great idea and maybe if I hadn't initially responded maybe you would have had more posts?

Anyway, I had an idea this morning about forming an SMCCD (CSM/Canada/Skyline?) book club or "salon" of sorts, where people meet bi-monthly or monthly to talk about books they are reading. These can be books for pleasure, or books to be used in further courses or Learning Communities. I always hear of such great books people are using with their classes, but it always seems to be too late, once I have ordered mine & I don't want to irk Judy at the bookstore!

If there is any interest, please let me know (or if one already exists, that would be cool, too). I belong to a book club, but it is mostly for psychotherapists and so we talk about the books in a different way. For a final shameless plug, I just read about Rob Walker's "Buying In" in the NYT Book Review. I got it and I could see students liking it--it talks about Generation Y and how they create their own meaning, or "tribes," around brands and logos.

If such a book discussion group/salon is founded, we could meet at SF or Peninsula cafes--sometimes libraries let you use their meeting rooms as well. Sometimes it is nice to host meeting in people's homes, but that is a lot a work for the host and sometimes space can be an issue (in my house, anyway!)

Cheers and thanks for invite, Tim,

Lucia